Flinders Island - B&W

These B&W images are based on the colour versions from my recent trip to Flinders Island ...
I have been thinking lately of the shifts in thought processes and associated disciplines from my B&W film days to my current digital image processes... Somehow my brain was able to 'see' in B&W tonality when I was using my medium and large format cameras... film was expensive and processing very time and energy intensive (with the associated 'disconnection' time between photographing and processing and often much longer time periods before printing and re-visualising) ... digital imaging has its own associated disciplines and can be just as rigorous in its own way, but in comparison, the days of film were quite exhausting and demanding ...
I still find it interesting to re-process my colour digital images into B&W versions as it brings back all that hard won knowledge and for this series I have even used the 4x5 (and 8x10) crop proportions that I used when using my large format 4x5 and 8x10 cameras...this is a significant discipline in its own right and you just had to accept the process and limitations and work with them...getting back into these thought process is still important for me and the careful framing of this proportion is quite a different experience compared to the typical 4:3 or 3:2 proportions of the digital sensor... as for square format, that is another thing entirely ...


























Comments

Popular Posts